Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Samuel Adams Utopias ~ 2009

look for the newest release of this precious beer sometime in the next few months. a super-limited release with a single-malt price tag, you get your money's worth and then some.

a beer that transcends beer, one taste and your world will simply not be the same. make sure to have a quality single-malt or small brandy snifter on hand for her arrival.

Photobucket

my review of the 2007 Samuel Adams Utopias:
Just recently someone asked me when the last time I was floored by a beer, and I must say that it was but a few days ago when I was privileged and blessed to share some of a 2007 Sam Adams Utopias. Even those who aren’t really in the know about beers usually have heard of and know about the coveted and rare Utopias. A pioneer in breaking the beer brewing barriers, Sam Adams Utopias is a barleywine which has been brewed so strong the ABV is somewhere in the mid 20s and what results is a beer like no other. Anyone presented with a snifter of Utopias without knowing what it was would figure it for a fine brandy or cognac with maybe a touch of sipping rum, and they would be wrong.

Utopias graced her snifter with delicate hues of brown-sugar, cinnamon, and brandy. Absolutely no carbonation or lace is to be found. Instead, she coats the sides of the glass in a thin film of luxurious alcohol, aka legs. That is fine with me for it leaves no barrier for her rich and decadent nose to reach mine. Wave after wave of brown sugars fresh and caramelized, toffee, maple, caramel, cinnamon, vanilla and warm spiced brandy notes secure their hold on my heart. My breath catches in my chest and my heart beats fast in my throat. With trembling fingers, I raise the snifter to my lips and we meet in a sweetly warm, sticky kiss.

A moment please.

Very few beers have reached the heights of nirvana as Sam Adams Utopias just has. That isn’t to say she won’t be topped by another, but such a divine supping experience belies her true nature: beer. Almost immediately alcohol nips at the tip of my tongue while a warm breath of maple, vanilla, and brown sugars linger beyond our initial embrace. Adding further complexity to her palate are warm spiced fruits such as nectarines and apricots. As my mouth waters, a sweet honey film clings to my cheeks and tongue while euphoric warmth slowly pervades the rest of my being. Some nutmeg creeps into her palate, mingling perfectly with the sweet sugars, warm brown spices, and brandy notes. Far too soon our love affair must come to a close as I gaze smitten at my empty snifter. Not quite ready to say goodbye, I close my eyes and revel in the afterglow, a contended smile teasing my lips.

I don’t mind spending a pretty penny on a fine bottle of single-malt whisky, but a bottle of beer could be a different story depending on various circumstances, mainly quality. But, having come to know the Sam Adams Utopias most intimately, I can say in all seriousness that she is worth every single penny and when the next limited batch of Utopias is released, I will be bringing a bottle home with me.

(original written work by Kristyn Lier. plagiarism is not tolerated)

No comments:

Post a Comment