Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2009

freeflow ~ The Broken Barrel

My best friend of...18 years (if I remember correctly) is back in town from California, so the other night we got together, hung out, and had dinner and some drinks at The Broken Barrel in Palm Bay, FL. I have been once before, so it was a welcome revisit for me since the last time I was there, the din of merrymaking was almost overwhelming.

It was a Friday night when Craig and I went, but the atmosphere was laid back and the buzz in the air wasn't head-ache inducing. In fact, I didn't see a single person without a smile on her and his face.

The food was good, as always, though they goofed on my salad dressing. The first time I went to Broken Barrel, I made sweet-sweet love to their house salad with raspberry Lambic vinaigrette. I wished to once more revisit that exotic sensual affair, and though the salad was fresh and crisp, the dressing was not raspberry Lambic. After perusing the dressing choices, I concluded it was the Citrus Balsamic because it was all lemon and orange with a balsamic twang. My tastebuds never forget; not to mention the dressing wasn't raspberry pink in color like it was last time. In fact, it was orange/lemon/citrus in color.

But I digress, though rightfully so.

The Broken Barrel has only been around for about 6 months, and I am happy to see them thriving. It also confirms what I already know (though there still be lots of work to be done) which is that the love for, thirst for, and potential for good craft/import beer and food is alive, well, and looking to grow exponentially in the sunny state of Florida. In particular, the east coast where I live.

Craig had never been (duh) and loved it. He snapped some sweet pictures, one of them being my waiter lovingly pouring my 2008 Lindeman’s Cuvee Renee Geueze into a Boon Geueze glass (no Lindeman’s glasses, I guess). Glass etiquette aside, she was mighty tasty, and the oldest Cuvee Renee that I have supped to date. Craig has never tasted a Geueze, much less a sour beer anything, so I couldn't wait to see his reaction at tasting mine.

Sour!

I chuckled, though he didn't exclaim absolute abhorrence. Craig claimed that it was most unusual and unlike anything he had tasted in beer yet. Seeing as he has never had a sour beer before, that makes perfect sense. I will say the 2008 had lost a bit of its twang, but there was still plenty of sour to go around along with a meatier palate and thicker mouthfeel than when fresh. Craig supped on a glass of St. Louis Framboise which, in afterthought, should have been the Lindeman’s Framboise for his first foray into fruit Lambics. The St. Louis was much like what I remember which is a bit too sweet and not very memorable.

Along with my salad avec wrong dressing (ok, so maybe I'm a little miffed), we shared a small platter of melt-in-your mouth sweet potato fries without all the fixings. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore to handle the honey and cinnamon drizzles it would have come with, though mom would have been all over it like nori on sushi. Which reminds me, when I drag her and dad up there, we'll have to get a plate and share.

Seeing as I had downed a Cigar City Brewing $110K+OT Batch #2 I.R.I.S. while chilling at Craig's before we left to go get dinner, I stuck with just the Cuvee Renee for my beer that night. It was the 750ml size bottle so more than enough. For whatever reason, I was uber hungry that night, and helped myself to their vegetable wrap which was mindblowingly awesome. So gooooood. The wrap had been basted/glazed in some kind of sweet crunchy brown sugar and maple orgasmic delight that when paired with the whole-wheat wrap and the succulently grilled fresh vegetables inside...

*kaboom*

…my mind imploded from the sensory overload. I don't care if "carnivore" is your first, last, and middle name. Their vegetable wrap will win you over to the grassy side. I had been eyeing their pulled rib sandwich, but there is always next time. In fact, next time is going to be as soon as either this coming Monday (tomorrow) or early next week. Me like.

Whilst inquiring as to the purchase/sale of their beer glasses, I met their manager and owner (?) Kevin, in whom I found a fellow beer geek, Cigar City fanatic, and all around good guy. The particular glassware which caught my eye and led to yet another fated meeting of good people through good beer was the Belgian ale, Kwak. Not only did Broken Barrel have the Kwak stirrup glass, they also had the stirrup in which it rests inbetween quaffs. OMG. The glass is hard enough to find, much less the stirrup in which it sits! I almost walked home with one, after paying of course, but instead I went home with a mixed 6pack of mouth-watering vintage brews. Much thanks to Kevin. Twas a blast; I hope to see you again soon.

Belly full and thirst sated (for now), Craig and I headed on back to his place in Melbourne where I promptly crashed on his couch until the early morn. Scrubbing the crust out of sleepy eyes and taking in the awesome view of the Indian River from their guest house/studio, I drove home, showered, gave my kitty some loving, and headed to work.

2 comments:

  1. Your memory of all those very specific brews (and flavors) is still pretty amazing. It's your job to but still pretty amazing :)

    Broken Barrel is a pretty nice place. I don't remember much about what was there previously but this establishment is a nicely thought out bar/dining solution. I didn't check out the pool area but the bar side was very clean and decked out. As it should be. I did like the place we got ourselves in the back with the wood finish seating.

    They did goof up on your salad dressing but the chicken caesar they served me was really good. Good marinated chicken. The St. Louis Framboise was good but I suppose I wasn't expecting such a sweet blend. Perhaps you're right about the Lindeman's being a better first choice but just like my movie watching I tend to bounce around with what I drink. I think I was already in the mood for something stout from earlier and just wanted to try something interesting that they had on tap. That said, I did enjoy it but it will be a very occasional taster for me.

    Great place overall and the owner was very cool. He had an amazing collection of stuff and you probably guessed that you both out-geeked me with your knowledge of what I was actually staring at ;) I did, however, learn something about microbrew distribution from your conversation. I guess every industry is relative in that sense.

    I've got a good handful of pictures we need to swap from the evening. I feel wary about getting too comfortable shooting non-work related stills on the new Canon. My 35mm body hasn't seen any use on this trip so far :P

    -Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are many more pictures to be taken! ^_^

    ReplyDelete