Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall Into Christmas

There is a nip in the air and the leaves are changing suit accordingly. Rich hues of gold, copper, amber, and orange paint Mother Nature's canvas with artistic flair. Summer has come and gone and fall is busily clearing the way for Old Man Winter. As for mankind's artistic flair, it comes in the abundantly diverse selection of fall beers decorating shelves both in stores and in my fridge.

Just kidding.

Well, not the delicious plethora of fall beers to feast my thirsty palate and eyes on, but as far as Mother Nature's canvas is concerned...

Palm trees sway hither and fro, their fronds gentle rippling in the soothing warm breeze of my tropical paradise. The occasional thundercloud rumbles and then passes, leaving shimmering sands under azure skies reflecting oceans so blue.

This my friends is fall in Florida, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Dismal grays, freezing spray, and driveways smothered in white need not apply. I'll take my changing of the seasons with a large does of sunshine to accompany my bounty of fall brews: oktoberfest, pumpkin, and harvest. As each delicious brew passes over thirsty lips, a little voice in the back of my head squeals and giggles in barely contained joy.

My inner child is ready and raring with stocking, candy canes, and garland in hand.

You see, for as much as I covet fall brews, I covet Christmas brews even more. There really is no comparison. When I see the fall beers roll out each year, it means that Christmas beers are right around the bend.

Christmas always has been and always will be my favorite time of the year. One sip of a Christmas beer and all is merry and right with the world. The plethora of these soul-soothing heart-warming brews is mankind's greatest gift to himself, and me. They are the embodiment of Christmas past, present, and future.

Maybe all Scrooge really needed was a chalice brimming over with Christmas cheer.

No matter how bad my day may have been or what tragedy has rent my life asunder, a Christmas beer makes it all better. The simple yet profound act of pouring her merry liquid into my glass and relaxing with her selfless generosity frees my spirit and rejuvenates my will. Christmas is giving and receiving, hope and forgiveness, love and life. Christmas is forever.

There is no Christmas like Christmas in Florida for this native. Just don't forget that seasonal of all seasonal blessings: Christmas beer. With hundreds of thousands to discover and revisit once more, I'm already itching at the door. Is it time yet? Is it? Is it?

(an original written work by Kristyn Lier. plagiarism is not tolerated)

No comments:

Post a Comment