Pages

Monday, March 01, 2010

BEERtrekkin ~ Chicago, IL to Minneapolis, MN

Saturday was the last leg of our trip with Minneapolis being our target destination. Myself personally, I'll be here for 3 days and one plane trip set for Wednesday morning. Early Wednesday morning. I'll save the workout for when I get home. But that's OK because I can always sleep on the plane on the way back and maybe even in the car on the way home. Probably not the latter though as I'll be a little chatterbox talking about my trip and all the awesomeness that ensued.

The last lap home wasn't all that bad, but in general all of us were done with the car. The lil munchkin was more than done with her car-seat, but she gets muchos kudos for being the super trooper that she was. I'm not sure how many babies can say they made the road trip she has which is pretty darn cool. Tis better to get out and see the world then to be cooped up inside. As much healthy stimulation as possible at that age is good. But I'm rambling. I still got my workout in that morning, of course. It was fun leaving the hotel to walk outside in workout shorts and t-shirt to the astonishment of a couple gentleman chatting outside dressed in the warmest winter clothes possible. On the plus side of my outdoor excursion, I had about ten steps and voila, I was back inside and hitting the exercise bike. Not just any exercise bike, the recumbent kind which is nicer to my lower back then the high sit-down kind like I have at home. Too bad the low sit-down exercise bikes are uber expensive. A workout and shower later, I started loading up our stuff for an early departure to meet the relatives in Glenview, Illinois. Coffee first followed by a breakfast beer, New Belgium 2* Below, we hit the road once more.

The view? Snow, snow, and more snow. Everywhere as far as the eye could see. Awesomeness.
What?! But Kristyn doesn't like the cold, much less the cold AND snow?!

This is true, but I hardly ever get to play in the snow, and so I say why not have fun with it while I can. Toe-socks and flip-flops on, I tentatively tread atop the snow while Skyler bounded about, eyes flopping, nose in the air, and a huge grin plastered across his face. Apparently he was happy to be back in the snow. Go figure. Bounding here and there, he painted yellow patches of snow wherever he felt like. Whether snow, rain, or shine, the world truly is Skyler's toilet. We are just here to clean the messes when need be.

It didn't take long at all to get to Karen's house where a passel of kids awaited along with Tom, Tin, and their son, Ben. Karen and Bill have four girls so you know that is one estrogen-charged house. But for all the kids romping around, playing, and eating breakfast, they were all very well behaved. Sure, they are kids so they still acted like kids, but there's a big difference between naturally balanced happiness and silver-spoon spoiled rottenness. Sandy was there of course, and I have to give the blueberry coffee cake two thumbs up. Fantabulous. The star of the show? The lil munchkin of course. From the moment she walked through the door cradled in mommy's arms, she was the center of attention. There wasn't a single person there who didn't fall under her spell of adorability, charm, and disposition. Hey, if Gramps can get won over heads to heels, anyone can.

As noon rounded the bend, all of us had to head our own ways; Karen's girls to volleyball camp and us to home. Much to the lil munchkin's chagrin, that meant more time in the car-seat. Woe is the world. All loaded, we set our eyes on Wisconsin Dells as the next stopover for coffee, leg stretches, dog pees, and food for all.

The drive was beautiful, and though the fields weren't all covered in white, there was more than enough along with piles 4+ feet high thanks to the clearing of roads and sidewalks. And then there were those piles of snow 4+ feet high that were totally natural. Whoa comes to mind. Quiznos had a grilled chicken and guacamole sub which filled the pit in my tummy while the dopio espresso tried its best to keep me awake and alert. The rest of the drive was filled with picturesque flatland covered in snow while grass and grain and houses dotted the skyline. Even though small cities broke up the long patches of Midwest farmland, I don't think I could live that far away from civilization for months, much less years on end. For a getaway vacation though...

Before reaching the Mississippi River, we stopped in Winona (no Ryder) for gas and some playtime. Pulling in, snowboarders buzzed and varoomed past. Apparently this particular Kwik Trip is a snowboarding destination. Inside? Beautiful. If I had gone in blind, I would think it was a cozy little market. Kwik Trips are a Midwest thing unfortunately because I wouldn't mind having something like this in Florida. Our 7-Elevens and such come nowhere close to holding a candle, much less lighting it.

Near Minneapolis I noticed a Joann Fabrics sign from the road. Flashback! There hasn't been a Joann Fabrics in Vero for at least a decade. They were extremely popular with the craft-minded crowd and other randoms but fell out of favor with the arrival of newer shops. I just figured they had gone out of business as a whole, but nope, apparently not. Color me surprised.

Mom rang at some point to give me a welcome Mr. D update; still doing OK from what I had heard. Granted, he isn't wholly better yet, but still eating and drinking. Mom didn't ask if he had pooped specifically, but Doc didn't mention any problems in that regard so I would assume is having normal BMC functions. Monday morning they are going to run a few more tests to see if the antibiotic is working and his kidney is starting to heal and shrink back down to normal. I'm also going to give Sharon a ring at work to see if we can switch shifts next week. This way I have almost two whole days to spend quality time with my baby while keeping an eye on his recovery before going back to work. He is still the star of the vet's office, and I am additionally reassured by the fact that he is in good hands. Still doesn't stop a mom from worrying though.

Night arrived and we soon found ourselves at home. Bags were unloaded, the lil munchkin and Skyler fed, and pjs donned as quickly as possible. I finally get to spend some time with Josh, Jenn's hubby, which is spiff since, quite frankly, I haven't seen him since their wedding years ago. It was the same with my relatives in Glenview. I haven't seen Karen, Bill, Tom, Tina, and the kids in years...lots of years. It wouldn't be outrageous to say it has easily been ten or more years since our last sighting. I don't get to travel much right now, so I really appreciate the opportunity Jenn has given me to spend quality time with my family, immediate and not so much. The drive may be over, but the fun is nowhere near over. I have snow to play in, beer to sup, food to savor, shops to cruise, and a family of four (can't forget Skyler) to share new memories with.



(an original written work by Kristyn Lier. plagiarism is not tolerated)

No comments:

Post a Comment